Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fourth Consulting Experience

On Monday, I walked into the Writing Center for my fourth consultant shadowing. This session was rather short, as it lasted for about 20 minutes or so. The writer was pretty much set to go, because her paper was well written, so it was easy for the consultant to just point out a few things to the writer. It was a bit hard to understand, though, if the paper fully addressed every part of the assignment because the assignment was so vague. So, the consultant advised the writer to talk to her professor, mention what she has so far, and ask if she was on the right path. I thought this was very important, because the consultant could have easily had the writer's attitude of "Well, she didn't give any specific instructions". However, by encouraging her to talk to her professor, it showed that the consultant did care about helping her accomplish her task.

After the writer left, I asked the consultant to read one of my papers that had already been looked at by another consultant. I found it really helpful when I went back to fix my paper, because she gave me different ways and approaches to making my argument better. She did not disagree with the first consultant's ideas, but she provided me with alternate ideas to think about, and that was really great. Having two consultants read my paper also gave me more feedback on how clear my paper was based on the feedback I received. It helped me see that my paper may be more confusing to more than one person, which is motivation for me to really try to correct any ambiguity in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment